Re: heater fan sucks

To: "Healeys list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: heater fan sucks
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:54:14 -0500
Interesting, although the old memory is far from perfect, I know I have done
negative ground conversions on cars with both the early version of the lucas
heater motor (which I believe has a fan) and the later version with the
squirrel cage.

I don't recall ever changing the wires on the blower, nor do I recall any of
them "sucking" other than in the sense that the blower output is marginal.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1

> Earl, there's been a misunderstanding somewhere -- permanent magnet DC
> motors do reverse rotation with polarity.  As has been pointed, because
> it's a centrifugal blower, it will move air regardless of the direction
> of motor rotation, HOWEVER, it will move air ever so much better when
> the rotation is in the correct direction.
> --
> John Miller
> Hotlanta

Interesting, I have done a number of negative ground conversions and never
changed the polarity of the blower motor, and never had a problem with the
motor "sucking".  This has included a '67