Cruising just fine

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cruising just fine
From: "M Lempert" <mlempert@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:03:34 -0400
I just got my BN2 back yesterday from a major service. The front end
steering components were a tad loose and needed rebuild.  This is the
tightest it's been since I've owned the car.  I always had some amount of
shake - initially it was severe and due to bad wire wheels; then it only
vibrated at over 60 mph.  Last year I installed a bigger sway bar with
urethane bushings, which made a big difference in handling, but I suspect
that might have accelerated wear of the already loose joints. It became too
much of a problem during my trip to Conclave.

At the same time I had my 3.54 (already in a spare pumpkin) installed.  I
originally had it reserved for my BN7, but that marathon restoration is
still underway, so I've lost patience with waiting and decided to go ahead
and install it in the BN2.  My original plan was to put the 3.90 from the
BN7 in the BN2.  I was a bit concerned with going from a 4.11 to 3.54,
especially since I have a 28% OD.  All the reports I've received from others
who made the change have been positive, so I went for it.

I believe I do notice some loss of low end acceleration, but not very much.
I'm aware my speedo isn't accurate anymore, so I've had to estimate certain
results.  I can comfortably take 1st over 20 mph, second also is longer, and
when hitting third during semi-aggressive acceleration, I'm somewhere around
60 before shifting to fourth.  Fourth gear is very comfortable for all
driving and I don't go into OD unless cruising the highway.  It seems that
both third and fourth gears might actually pull better now.  In fourth with
OD it cruises effortlessly at 75 mph.  There is little pull in this mode,
but a down shift to third (in OD), even at speed, provides all the power
needed.  With the new front end work I'm running very smoothly and the
engine sounds happy with a pleasant muffled growl.  I'm ready for next
week's trip to the Southeastern in Georgia.

Just for the record, this was not an advertisement.  And yes, I DO have a
personal interest.

Regards,
Mike Lempert