Socket for rear axle nut, was: RE: Rear Wheel Bearings

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Socket for rear axle nut, was: RE: Rear Wheel Bearings
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:10:46 -0700
Hello, Healeyphiles -

Sears has a 2-3/16 inch Craftsman socket that works well for the rear axle
nut.  I bought mine for about 20 bucks.  Since it has a 3/4-inch drive, I
also bought a 3/4 to 1/2-inch adapter so that I could use my existing 1/2
drive ratchet.  The part number of the socket is 47791.  There is a
"---G---" in front of this number that may or may not be a part of the part
number.  The part number of the drive adapter is 4271.

The socket has a bellmouth that needs to be machined or ground away so that
it can get a greater purchase on the thin nut.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA