Re: Door to scuttle seal

To: <Healeys@autox.team.net>, "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Door to scuttle seal
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 10:10:46 -0400
Ron,
The upper flap is really needed to secure the thing tightly to the scuttle
surface. It should be only thin , maybe 1/16" thick, so shouldn't be
noticeable under the dash pad. With the windscreen assembly off the car the
upper flap needs to be contact cemented to the upper surface paying
attention to make sure the edge runs exactly parallel to the edge of the
scuttle. The contrasting dash edge piping should come smoothly and evenly to
the edge of things to complete a tidy installation. The forward locating
screw and the 2 turnbutton screws will locate the dash top panel and run
through the glued flap into the metal beneath.
If you cut it off, that edge has no means of sealing and keeping water from
creeping in behind, and the shape of the finished installation will be
ruined.
Keep in mind the end needs to be trimmed away to leave only a strip of
rubber that will wrap over the end (to form the blind end of the trough) and
tuck under the dash pad, with a single screw locating it onto the edge of
the shroud panel.
I'm attaching pictures but these are of Bill Bolton's seals. Note the view
from the underside showing the split rivets and washers that fasten the
lower flap of the assembly to the front wing flange and the scuttle flange.
I'm also including a picture of an original installation. I hope the same
installation can be done with the ones you have.
Rich Chrysler