Steering Box Help!

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Box Help!
From: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:16:33 -0500
I have been to the archives and back.  No help yet.

 My problem is,   I have approx.  1 inch of play in my steering wheel that is
coming from the steering box area.

I have removed 3 bearing shims so far as well as adjusted the screw in and out
to get the center position  "slightly tight" area.   I notice very little
change in the steering wheel "1 inch" play.

Also not a whole lot of change when I take out the "shims"  one at a time.
Why so many in the first place?

Can some one tell me which adjustment will cure this 1 inch play in the
steering wheel or is this "as good as it gets"  with a Healey?

Front end parts are all new,  new seals in steer box and idler box.

I Have not filled the box completely with oil yet, just enough to coat the the
gears so far.

The car is stripped and steering is basically all that is on the car now so
adjustments are simple at this stage.  Or so I thought.

Thanks Mark