Re: 100 engine assembly

To: sooch@houston.rr.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 100 engine assembly
From: "WILLIAM B LAWRENCE" <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 02:18:12 +0000
Thanks to those who answered and yes Dave, I will talk to the machinist.

Also, yes, they are high strength nylocks and were on the engine when I got
it. They ran about 30,000 miles before I had to rebuild without any
noticable loss of torque. I suppose I should use castellated nuts and
drilled studs, but this engine didn't have them. I think I will Loctite them
when they are torqued, I just don't recall what the torque should be.

If I am reading the table right the proper torque is found by bottoming the
nut on the cap, tightening another 1/4 turn and then proceeding to the
nearest matching cotter hole. I remember hearing that Roger Menadue never
owned a torque wrench. However, I don't claim his level of talent or
experience and so in the absence of castellations and cotter holes I am
trying to establish a corresponding torque spec.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Bill Lawrence