what grade aluminum

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: what grade aluminum
From: <fmags@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 11:16:53 -0600
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 21:25:17 EST
From: Gbouff1@aol.com

Gary,  I am in a similar situation although I have not done the repairs yet.
I checked with some engineering friends of mine in the aircraft business for
a modern weldable alloy and also asked Roger Menadue many years ago. He was
Austin-Healey's Chief Engineer.

The advice I got was to use 0.063 inch thick 6061-T6 alloy for the shrouds.
I remember that I mic'd it and that's the closest sheet thickness that it
came out to.

TIG welding would work best on it.  I had some tears in my rear shroud and
had it TIG welded and it came out beautifully.

Hope this helps,

Frank Magnusson

<I'm going to attempt some minor repairs, does anyone know what current
grade
of aluminum would approximate the grade used in the front and rear  shrouds.
Also what gage thickness.

Thanks,

Gary Bouffard>