Re: what grade aluminum

To: <Gbouff1@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: what grade aluminum
From: <fmags@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 10:43:04 -0600
Thanks Gary.

I haven't heard of 3103; probably not very common in the aircraft industry.
Or, could be the result of several designation changes over the years, or
British versus American designations.  I know that there have been several
designation changes over the years.  The U.S.Navy had their own series of
designations in the 30's and 40's and there was one major change in
desinations of aluminum in the 1950's that changed all of the codes.  I
believe that these are the codes still in use today, but there may have been
another change along the line; I'd have to check.

I'm doing a project on some Navy standards and the material was a U.S. Navy
code in the 30's which was equivalanet to the code 24ST.  This was changed to
another code (SAE, I think) in the 50's which is 2024T3, whioch is still used
today.  The British may have had their own codes or they may have been to an
international standard like SAE, I don't know.

If you use 6061 (or any other series for that matter), don't forget the heat
treat number.  6061indicates no heat treat (otherwise known as 6061-0, or 0
condition, which is no heat treat and is very soft) the T indicates heat
treat, and the number following it indicates the amount of heat treat.  So
6061-T6 is heat treated.

Hope this helps.  Sounds like there is some good info on a website that was in
another response that may be helpful.

Frank