Re: half a Healey frame on EBay $50

To: dicksonr@uwm.edu
Subject: Re: half a Healey frame on EBay $50
From: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@suscom.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:42:13 -0500
Hi Randy,
One may wonder what anyone would want half of a frame for other than
coupling it to a good half from another source.  Here's an idea that
some of you may want to consider. Recently I found an engine test stand
for sale at the Fall Hershey AACA flea market for an MG TD.  It is the
front half of the TD frame with the front engine mount and rear
transmission mount, with a radiator fitted, a coil, a battery pan, and
mounted to the scuttle stiffening hoop is a piece of plywood with an oil
pressure gauge, a toggle switch to turn on the ignition and a starter
button.  A starter solenoid is also mounted to the hoop.  Down below is
an exhaust head pipe, muffler, and a short tailpipe.  The whole thing is
mounted on casters and a couple of handles are provided to push it
around.  Very ingenious and a good use of basically junk parts as the
frame has rust through.  The whole thing cost me $20 from the vendor who
was selling it.  Just couldn't resist it.  The auction for the Healey
front ended at around $104.
Of course, for this use, some of the upper superstructure could get
tossed to make it easier to access the engine or used for some other
purpose.
Just think, you could test out your engine after rebuilding it, before
installing it in the car.  Also with the tranny attached, you could
check out the overdrive after adding the correct electrical items for
that to the test stand.
Charlie
'52 MG TD
'62 BT7