Re: Tire Age & Related Problems

To: Reid Trummel <editor_reid@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Age & Related Problems
From: Jackson Krall <jackson_krall@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:52:48 -0800 (PST)
Reid and All,

In the late 1980's I was spending a lot of time in
L.A. and started looking for a Healey there. I ended
up with an MGC GT (still have it)and a Bug Eye( sold
this one). While towing the freshly painted Bug Eye
with the freshly painted MGC (don't ask) back from the
paint shop on an L.A. freeway(I know, I know), a piece
of tread the size of your hand seperated from the
Metzger radial and began flapping against the RL wheel
well making an ungodly racket that startled the s--t
out of me. As I tried to slow and pull over the rear
breaks locked (something to do w/those aluminum slave
cyl's, MGC's are notorious for this), my articulated
rig did at least one artistic 360 in heavy traffic and
after bouncing off the jersey barrier came to rest
with heavy damage to both my cars and most luckily no
one elses.
I learned my lesson about old tires.
Best, JK

http://farechase.yahoo.com