Waxes

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Waxes
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:33:26 EST
In a message dated 11/19/05 7:18:51 PM, owner-healeys-digest@autox.team.net
writes:

> Mother's 100% Carnauba
> paste wax

I just love those claims. Mother's is a fine product, I'm sure, or they
wouldn't be able to afford to advertise in all the high-end magazines, but if
you
have ever seen true 100 percent Carnauba wax, you'd realize this claim is
patently false. Carnauba in its true form (i.e. 100 percent of itself) is an
extremely hard yellow brick-like stuff that can barely be shaved with a knife.
About
the maximum percentage of Carnauba you'll find is 40-60 percent.
Nevertheless, it is fine stuff when used to protect a properly cleaned, clayed,
and
polished surface (i.e. four-step process) and will last 3-4 months before it
has to
be removed and replaced by repeating the process. You can short-cut the
process by using multi-stage stuff, but if efficiency is your goal, then you're
better off going through the clean, clay, polish steps about once a year and
then
apply an synthetic wax product which seals the surface of the paint --
Meguiar's, Griots, and Mother's all make such products for that end of the
market.
Cheers
Gary