Re: Driving Light Brackets

To: Reid Trummel <editor_reid@hotmail.com>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Driving Light Brackets
From: Carlos Cruz <healey3000bn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:20:35 -0800 (PST)
Reid,

  I bought mine from Cape International a couple of years ago.  They are
capable of holding both the 5" and 7" flamethrowers.  They're black and have an
integrated tow hook.  The brackets attach to the bumper mounts on the frame.  I
think these are what you're looking for.

  Now some observations...  I've had mine for three years now.  I also run
without the front bumper.  They look great.  That being said, three yeas of
vibrations from supporting 7" flamethrowers is taking its toll.  There are
stress fractures where the vertical plane meets the horizontal plane.
Correcting this is going to be a winter project once I find someone with a
welder.  From a quality perspective, the design should have incorporated a
thicker gauge steel and or some angle braces under the horizontal plane.

  The integrated tow hook is a nice feature, but again the steel is too thin
for my comfort using them as tie down points.  Other then that, a short tow off
the track would be fine.

  I believe Mark Baker as Sport & Specialty in Durand, IL (1-815-629-2717)
makes a similar set, thicker gauge and a slightly tighter fit to the curvature
in the front shroud.  The lights are about 1" - 1.5" closer to the car than
with CI's setup.  I think these actually look better than CI's as the lights
themselves don't protrude too far from the car.

  I hope that helps.

  Cheers,
  Carlos Cruz
  '60 BN7

Reid Trummel <editor_reid@hotmail.com> wrote:
  Hi all,

Looking for something and I hope someone can recommend a good source. I
need...

...a pair of brackets to hold a pair of 7-inch Lucas driving lights, to be
mounted on my BN2 with no bumpers. (I want to survey the group for possible
sources of good, ready-made items before I resort to trying to make some
myself, so for now please hold off on the advice on how to make my own.)

These brackets should attach to the bumper mounting points, and allow the
driving lights to nestle into the curves of the shroud (i.e., not be too
close to the centerline of the car where they partially block the grill).

Anyone sell anything like that? Thanks!

Reid

Reid Trummel
Portland, Oregon