Re: Why Won't this Work?--Brake Drums

To: tom felts <tomfelts@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Why Won't this Work?--Brake Drums
From: "Ph.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:47:59 +0100
Tom, Sorry, but in my opinion it won't. The centrifugal forces on that
weight will be enormous and although I don't know what JB Weld is (kind
of glue?) I would be surprised if the weight would still be there after
a run at high speed.  In my view the trick is not to add balancing
weight but to remove material at the exact opposite side. When you know
the specific gravity of cast iron you can calculate the size of the
metal lump you have to remove.  The ultimate in balancing, by the way,
is first dynamic balancing of the drum, getting the drum perfectly
balanced, then another run on the dynamic balancer with the wheel fitted
and finally finish off with static balancing on a wheel spinner, so on
the vehicle. It's a time consuming job, but when carried out by a
craftsman the result should be fabulous.
Good luck!
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432