RE: Temporary repairs

To: "'Allyn Richardson'" <allynrichardson@cox.net>,
Subject: RE: Temporary repairs
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:08:08 -0600
Allyn,

I heard your "disclaimer" part of your explanation.  I agree, every
situation is different. Also, the smart ass portion of my comments were
aimed at those so greatly offended by a dumbass joke that they get their
panties in a knot.

All too often, the "temporary" repairs turn in to 10 years, or, even worse,
end up in the hands of the next owner, usually without disclosure... for the
next gut to fix. At that point, a proper repair takes twice as long, and
costs twice as much. It is not a case of "preservation" as you say.

So, in your example, we're talking "non-structural" repairs... which on a
big Healey, would be what... dog legs, lower fender and door panels, and
floors? Other than floors, each would require paint work, right? If there's
paint work involved, it will be expensive no matter what. Cutting out bad
steel, and welding in new is not necessarily expensive, yet many fear their
ability to conquer the problem, don't seek knowledgeable help, or don't
bother getting a quote on a proper repair.

Right now, we're doing (we, as in, Larry and I... a hobby, not a business)
Larry Daniels Bugeye. It needs complete floors. Previous owners had attached
sheet metal and stop signs and who knows what else with tar and 1000 sheet
metal screws. Removing it all was a pain in the ass. The "repair" done so
long ago just trapped more moisture, and created more rot.

That's not to say body shops, both way back when, or today weren't capable
of shoddy work. The car had been hit from the back as well, and many tears
ago (judging by the layers of paint subsequent to that) a new rear deck and
fenders grafted on (poorly). The rear 6" of boot floor was just cut off and
replaced with a poorly fit piece of steel, held my screws.

Some places were quite happy to fill a rust hole in a rocker with the tin
foil from their sandwich at lunch, flip some bondo at it from 10' away,
grind it relatively smooth, paint it, and send it down the road. Of course,
2-5 years down the road, when the car hits a pothole, the lump of bondo pops
out from the ever widening rust hole.

There's usually only one right way, and the rest are hacks when it comes to
repair.

WST