Re: 64 BJ 8: Chronic Back firing through the carbs

To: broc07940@netscape.net
Subject: Re: 64 BJ 8: Chronic Back firing through the carbs
From: "John P. New" <jnew@hazelden.ca>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:00:46 -0500
Ted,

Well, if 165 degrees is really your operating temperature, then I would
suggest that is part of your problem. BJ8s typically need to run hotter
to function properly; the factory workshop manual states that it should
have a 182 degree thermostat (Mk. II and III from engine No. 29F/2592).

I know that mine will spit and sputter until it reaches at least 180.
So, your thermostat may be keeping the engine temperature too low.

If the engine temperature isn't the cause, you may also want to try a
heavier oil in your dashpots. Without wanting to start the usual thread
on dashpot oil, I use a 20 weight oil with no problems.

John P. New
--
London, Ontario, Canada
'67 BJ8