Re: 3:54 Housing markings ???

To: 62bt7 <62bt7@prodigy.net>, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 3:54 Housing markings ???
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:04:05 -0800
Kirk:

Don't really know - my 3:545 pumpkin has the 'S' stamped as well.  It came
out of a Wolesley saloon with an automatic transmission.  The exact same
differential pumpkin was used in all of the large British saloons of the
period (with automatics) - Westminster, Wolesley, Morris Isis, and I think,
the Austin Princess.  The manual gearbox versions all had the 11/43 diff
(3:91) - same part as all Healey 3000's with overdrive.

It might simply be some kind of a manufacturers identifying mark.

If you got the speedometer out of the wreck, it'l be the instrument
specifically matched to that diff - quite rare in the Healey 3000 -
virtually all of the North American export cars were equipped with
overdrive.

We still find the odd 3:545 diff in an old saloon here in BC - there were
lots of these cars sold new in this part of Canada.  So far, I've been able
to rescue seven of them (missed one!) before the hulks were sent to the
crusher - 4 from Westminsters, 2 from Wolesleys, and 1 from a Morris Isis.
They are all now installed and running in various Healeys!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8