Car pulls to left.

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car pulls to left.
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:20:03 -0000
A Happy Christmas to one and all. And thank you for all your help this year.

Just to indulge me one more time

My car is 62 BT7 3000. It has recently started pulling slightly to the left
when I brake.

The car has been off the road for some weeks while Ive done a number of
things to it. Mostly cosmetic, but two seem very likely culprits indeed.

Its worth considering that the car did not pull to the left before I took
it apart! So, plainly, this is self inflicted!!

Tyre pressures, though not checked, look fine and were fine when I garaged
the car, say, 5 weeks ago.

1)       Ive disassembled and fixed up the front right brake calliper which
appeared to have had problems.rubber seals a bit cooked etc.(I did replace
the two little seals inside).

2)       Ive disassembled the back left brake drum and replaced the slave
cylinder seals.

3)       I replaced the front wheel bearings on both sides. All correctly
shimmed and within correct torque settings. (I think!!) Wheels moving freely
on hubs and not wobbling(!) etcetc

Both went back together as easily as these things ever do though the two
little plates holding the slave to the back plate presented an interesting
puzzle, but I got there with help from you all.

I consult three manuals in these situations. (I often wish Id consulted
them more thoroughly at the time, but, on this occasion, I thought that I
had!) Neither brake is leaking

It appears that I may have put the shoes in arse about face (as we
seasonally say). Can this be possible?

I suppose that it must be possible if the manuals mention it, but Haynes and
Autopress tend to plagiarize/pricis the BMC original so ambiguities in the
latter tend to be passed on to the former

Can their being in backwards give me the symptoms described?

There is no noise, untoward heat or excessive brake smell to accompany this
irritating state of affairs.

Simon.