Re: Timing Chain Cover Seal

To: <ssanders@midsouthinc.com>
Subject: Re: Timing Chain Cover Seal
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:24:33 -0800
Steve,
Napa has speedi-sleeve or redi-sleeve one or the other. Our online friends
the Nocks sell them as well. You buy them by measurement. The OD on the
pulley is where it goes. Just measure it with a caliper when you get it out.

You have to remove the radiator, undo the throttle linkage and the motor
mount bolts to jack up the engine enough to get the cover off.

The attached drawing shows how to make an apparatus out of emt tubing, 2x4's
and longer bolts to get the crank nut off. YOu'll also need a large socket,
breaker bar and cheater handle for that. Search the list for the size.
Getting that nut off is a major issue.

When I had my radiator out, I also found it convenient to remove the
steering column and rebuild the seal in the box.

You may also need to undo the rear trans mount. Indeed you may wish to
remove the trans first because then the engine rocks on the mounts better.

HTH--good luck.
--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of
Cranknut.pdf"; x-mac-creator="4341524F"; x-mac-type="50444620]