Re: Slotted Discs

To: "James Sailer" <heliskier@direcway.com>,
Subject: Re: Slotted Discs
From: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:46:39 +1100
Hi Jim,

The key thing when you are talking about BJ8 Brakes (or any standard Healey
brakes) is that they use a solid rotor - not a ventilated rotor.

Cross drilling a Ventilated rotor (which allows air to enter between the two
rotor braking faces, and escape through the rotor braking face) makes a
whole lot of sense to me. Cross drilling a solid rotor doesn't...

Ventilated rotors are generally far too thick to use with Healey calipers -
but many Australian Healey racers have used e.g. Volvo calipers and
ventilated rotors on their Healeys.

Slotting a solid rotor also makes sense - the slots keep the pad face
'square' by effectively 'clipping' it on each rotation - proving even pad
wear and minimising pad glazing.

On my BJ8, I have DBA slotted rotors (part number 094BS - standard slotted)
They also do std normal rotors (094B std) and slotted AND Crossdrilled
(094BX- standard Gold ), with Std BJ8 calipers.

Interestingly - the Healey rotors don't appear in the DBA international
catalogue:
http://www.dba.com.au/dba_catalogue_2004/HTML/pdf/DBA_INT_CAT_2005_v3_web.pdf

But you'll find them on page 57 of the DBA Australian catalogue:
http://www.dba.com.au/DBAcat_012005.pdf

As far as 'best stopping' goes for a BJ8 using BJ8 calipers - thats more a
function of the pad; the pad being suited for the application; and correct
bedding in of the pads.

Best

Chris
www.myaustinhealey.com