Re: BJ8 coughs and spits

To: "'Brashear, Jack, N'" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>,
Subject: Re: BJ8 coughs and spits
From: Eric (Rick) Wilkins <wilko2@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:08:29 -0800
That lean condition can happen for a few reasons. Stuck dampers in the
carbs, loose throttle shaft bushings or manifold leaks are probably the
most common causes of those symptoms.

You say the problem goes away when warmed up, that leads me to the
manifold gasket. If the gasket between the manifolds and the head is
bad, you'll get those symptoms. With heat, the parts expand tightening
the joint making the problem go away. Loose throttle shafts always run
lean and don't clear up with heat.

Check the carb "dash pots" for good oil that's not too thick (engine
oil is usually too thick)

Wilko
San Diego