vacuum advance queries

To: "'Austin-Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: vacuum advance queries
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:16:11 -0000
Hi,

Another one for the technocrats..the workings of a vacuum advance.

So, assuming all else is set up +/- as it should be:-

1)       If I have my strobe timing light shining at the timing mark and the
rpms are at a constant, say, 1000, will sucking/blowing on the little black
tube cause the timing marks to move relative to each other? A lot? A little?
Or not at all, even if the mechanism is fine 'cos one cannot develop enough
puff to do it in the first place?

2)       If huffing and puffing down the little tube makes no difference at
all and one suspects, as I do, that the thing has shuffled off this mortal
coil, how can I physically test it? Can I take it off the distributor, hold
it in my hand/in the vice and do something to it/test it in some way that
will determine whether it works or not.

3)       If there is a useful test, and it fails.where can I buy the correct
replacement? I am in UK, but that's OK.I'll buy from wherever, if it's the
right price for the right bit.

I have a MkII BT7 with, I suppose, a DM6A Lucas distributor.

Thanks,

Simon.