Re: high engine oil pressure/oil sump gasket

To: "Frenken, Eric" <efrenken@lctax.de>
Subject: Re: high engine oil pressure/oil sump gasket
From: John Harper <AH@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:50:10 +0000
Eric

By all means feel free to pick up on my terminology but I still believe
that this is a possible reason for Manuel's problem.

I quote from Austin Service Journal A/59 published 15 April 1959

"When an oil reservoir is being replaced after removal, care should be
taken to see that the replacement gasket does not cover the oil pump
relief valve passage to the reservoir indicated at 'A' in the
illustration. Failure to observe this when fitting the gasket will
result in excessive rise in pressure when the engine is running.

Three gaskets, each having different cut-outs to suit various cylinder
blocks, have been in use. It is therefore very necessary to scrutinise
the gasket when in position. If the oil passage is obstructed it is
permissible to cut away a portion of the gasket to clear the hole and
leave a free passage for the oil-flow."

Unquote

Unfortunately I don't have a block with the sump off to check the exact
details but the hole possibly obscured is the one below the oil pressure
relief valve; where the excess oil drains back into the sump. If a
gasket has very simple straight edges on the inner side edges and a
scallop out of its inner edge near the centres it should be OK but if it
protrudes beyond this is it MIGHT be the cause of the problem. I am not
saying it is. I am just trying to be helpful.

I would recommend not running the engine until the problem is cured. A
very high oil pressure might result in the drive key being ripped out of
the oil pump driven gear.

All the best

--
John Harper