Re: Value Insanity

To: healeys@autox.team.net (healey list)
Subject: Re: Value Insanity
From: scotyp@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 02:06:31 +0000
Dick,

I think the only effect these auction prices have on the "car on the street" is
trend and they most definitely are trending up.
I subscribe to Keith Martin's Sports Car Market and they just came out with a
collector car value guide for 2006.
According to his guide,as an example, the BJ8 range is from 32K(low) to
50K(high) with an annual appreciation of 3%.
Additionally, in the Feb issue the BJ8 is giving a rating of  84 points out of
a possible 100.  This rating considers such items as rarity, physical
appearance,performance,fun factor and historical significance.

Scot
'66 BJ8

> With all of these high asking prices what are the lists thoughts about
> the insured value.

That's an interesting question! DO these stratospheric auction prices
actually do ANYTHING at all for the "car on the street"?  My first guess
would be "probably not much", but I'd certainly like to hear from those in
the know.

I'd think they WOULD do something for the other ultra-primo garage queens,
whose owners would have some legitimate rationale for comparison. But for
the rest of us, where a year consists of a few oil changes, and (hopefully)
minor upkeep, I'd think not.

Dick Hosmer
62 BT7 Tricarb (driver)