Re: Tire questions - Turbosteel vs. XAS

To: andyslistmail@gmail.com, Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire questions - Turbosteel vs. XAS
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:08:39 EST
In a message dated 1/25/2006 2:27:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
andyslistmail@gmail.com writes:
Can anyone shed some light on these two tires when used for spirited
winding road driving? Grip? Breaks free progressively or all at once?
Side-wall flex during cornering? Rain performance? Etc?
Andy--

When I could not find any Michelin 175 ZX's I was thinking about the XAS in
165 because it had almost the same height but in the end ran across a set of
ZX's at Alan Hendrix' shop.

The XAS was a very popular tire on high-performance sedans (BMw's, etc) back
in the 70's and 80's--I had them and definitely liked them on a 535.  I have
heard that they are considered to be a bit on the hard side and they are
certainly pricey but they do have an agressive-looking tread pattern and I hope
you'll keep the list informed of what you find out and what is your ultimate
decision and experience.  Always nice to have alternatives....

Best--Michael Oritt, 100 Le Mans