Re: Tire questions - Turbosteel vs. XAS

To: Awgertoo@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tire questions - Turbosteel vs. XAS
From: Andrew K <andyslistmail@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:57:08 -0700
Hi Michael,

That is an excellent point. The Avons I bought for the other car must
have been fresh because the rubber is very soft and the adhesion to
the road is spectacular. It breaks away very smoothly and predictably
when you exceed it's limits in a corner. I have been looking at XAS
at Coker or Longstone (UK) and perhaps I need to check on the
manufacture date for the stock that they carry? Old stock could
explain some peoples experiences with either tire.

Magnus indicated that his Avons were much harder than his XAS, but I
don't know if he meant the rubber or the ride. IF the XAS is at least
as soft as the Avons I purchased, I imagine they will be a fantastic
tire, as they appear to be a much more advanced design and during the
sixties and early seventies were chosen by many manufacturers for
their top performance cars. IF however they have been sitting for
five years, they may be hard and all bets are off.

This is all conjecture at this point of course. If only there was a
place you could go and spend the day trying different tires on your
car. Or wouldn't it be cool if someone tried them all and tested them
the way one of the car mags would, for adhesion, stability etc.

Not likely to happen though, so I will surely be basing my decision
on anecdotal evidence and conjecture. Ahhh, but I have made decisions
based on less than that!

-- Andrew