Re: Values & Restoration--bloviating

To: Randy Hicks <Healey100M@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Values & Restoration--bloviating
From: "Ronald A. Fine" <ronfineesq@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:35:01 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
I first saw the operation at Kurt Tanner's shop several years ago when I
answered an ad for a restoration project car for sale.  When I arrived at the
shop I was greeted by his father who does (or use to do) the paint and body
work on the cars.  I was shown a car that was way too far gone for my skills
and I passed on it.  I was given a brief tour of the shop and was told then
that they really only wanted to work on cars for themselves for sale at the
auctions.  They had at least 6 cars in various stages of restoration.  Several
frames had just been painted and were sitting outside in the back.  His father
told me that they had it down to a science.  Parts are refurbished and kept in
stock until needed for any particular restoration.  He said they could put
together a complete car in about 6 weeks.  After I purchased my current BN7, I
took it to the father (I'm sorry that I can't remember his name at this time)
and he gave me a price for just the body and paint.  Unfortunitly, he changed
his mind several weeks later and told me that they were just going to work on
their own cars.
Ron Fine