AW: Values & Restoration--bloviating

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: AW: Values & Restoration--bloviating
From: "Eckert, Josef" <Josef.Eckert@t-mobile.de>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:39:55 +0100
I can only speak for the situation here in Germany and what I see when looking
over the borders to UK and Holland, where the most Healeys are here in Europe.

We do not value automobiles which have NOT been restored over those which have,

but what is important is, that an "old car" should not look like a brand new
car just coming out of the factory. Some imperfections let's say in the
original paint work or in the leather of the seats or trim make the car what it
is a "Classic". So the car can show its age, without loosing value, but you
should see that the car is well maintained and not a rusty banger. So some
people are looking out for these sort of classics. And it is much easier to
live with such a car than with a brand new show room restored one you dare not
to drive it and obviously put the perfect car into an imperfect used one. The
first scratch in the car hurts the most. But these kind of classics with the
"right patina" (used, but well maintained, or very sensitively restored) we
call it are more and more difficult to find and the prices for such cars go up.
Especially the Germans like the shiny over-restored, blinky "Tanner Cars".
Originality does not count very much, as most do not know what is original
spec. The more horsepower the better, the more easier to drive the better. Non
original paintwork colours are more often seen than original colours.
Conversions to Weber carbs, alternators, mallory distributors, shock
conversions and front wing openings are very popular. Nearly half of the
Healeys here in Germany do not have bumpers any more, and, and, and.
So far originality is not an issue which sells to the public who can afford a
Healey.
Here in Germany most Healey owners even do not have a close relation to the
Healey Marque. Perhaps they do not know the history of Healey production and
those behind the Healey manufactory or the history of their car. They like the
car and perhaps sell it next year for an E-Type Jaguar or Porsche or Mercedes
or whatever. OK I think that is different at least in England and perhaps in
some other countries here in Europe.
Sorry, I just wrote down what I had on my heart we say.
Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/GERMANY

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----