Re: Values & Restoration--more bloviating

To: <Rjdisi@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Values & Restoration--more bloviating
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:57:47 -0800
Ray Donovan wrote:

> Another reason why those folks involved with Concours and Concours Registries
> should get some credit so that someday when we're all gone, someone, somewhere
> can look at an Austin Healey and see it as it came off the assembly line
> (yeah, right). Is this why Europeans value automobiles which have NOT been
> restored over those which have?

Another observation here in the originality vs bling debate:

At the Monterey races back in the 80's there were two different Alfa
8C-2300s. One had that nice patina of having been taken care of for decades
and the other had an over-the-top restoration with chrome wire wheels and a
mile-deep paint job. The driver of the latter was _very_ careful and didn't
put on much of a show.

I believe the unrestored car had more karma because you could imagine
Nuvolari winning in it in the Mille Miglia or Le Mans.

Maybe the whole thing has something to do with rarity. When a car was made
in the tens of thousands instead of the tens, I would argue it's less
important to keep it as a historical document for posterity.

No, I'm not advocating bling here, just bolviating some more.

Another thing to watch for is these Tanner Healeys selling as used cars. I
betcha the owners are afraid to drive them because they might get a scratch!
Wonder what a 5-yr old Tanner car will go for?

--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA