Re: BJ8 "Pull-the-Dot" Studs

To: Ned Smith <smithn00@kitepilot.net>, Healey List
Subject: Re: BJ8 "Pull-the-Dot" Studs
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:40:25 -0800
Ned:

As originally built, the car would have had snap studs - same as on the
tunnel cover - with matching carpet snaps on the carpets.  Four in each
footwell for the front carpets, and two on each side at the rear of the
carpet (the front of each rear carpet section was left to lie loose).  So, a
total of twelve carpet fasteners, held to the floorboards with sheet metal
screws.  These were originally installed on top of the tarpaper and the jute
insulation.

In your case, you should install them on top of the Dynamat to avoid having
to shim them with spacers so the carpet will lie right.

The eight snaps on the tunnel cover are correct - there should be matching
snaps on the carpet to secure it.  There should be two lift-the-dot studs on
each side of the rear kick panel just below the seats threaded into captive
nuts on the outside of the panel.  These allow the tonneau flaps to be
secured when driving in order to keep the tonneau from flapping excessively.

Fun scraping the old stuff off the floors, wasn't it!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8