Re. fuses

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re. fuses
From: Jonathan and Carole Quandt <fourqz@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 08:43:25 -0800
About a year ago I smoked the wire for the running lights on my
100-4.This I learned later is a common problem in healeys due to the
cheezy design of our beloved acorn light bodies. It's quite easy to get
a short inside the rubber boots as the ends of the wires are so close
at this point , Same with the brake lights.I have never blown a fuse so
the notion that the fuses are of too great a capacity has some merit .I
installed an inline fuse on these circuits when I added replacements.
Note also that when you smoke these wires in your harness you also melt
the surrounding pvc insulation. A couple of months ago I got a short in
my headlight circuit which burned out the voltage regulator. When I
turned the car off the generator light stayed on and I had to
disconnect the battery to stop the short. The cause for this was simply
old frayed wiring. Make sure you have a battery cut off switch or fire
during periods of storage can be a real possibility . Last week I
ordered a new braided harness from British Wiring so any advise about
Where to add inline fuses without butchering my new $400 harness would
be most helpful. Time to quit smoking, JQ