Super Short Retractible Length Radio Antenna for BJ8

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Super Short Retractible Length Radio Antenna for BJ8
From: "Dave Murphy" <roadwarriordave@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:34:57 -0500
My BJ8 has the radio antenna mounted on the low point of the right front
aluminum shroud roughly 8 inches to 12 inches ahead of the windshield base.
(My car is not with me as I write this, so all my dimensions are a guess.)

Since I use a car cover I want the aerial to collapse (retract) into the
shroud so that the car cover can lay flat. Unfortunately there is a
shelf-like cross car beam below antenna hole (and above the passengers legs)
that interupts full retraction. I have purchased manual retractable antennas
from two different souces (of which I believe Moss was one source), but the
retracted length (which I guess was 5 inches to 6 inches) below the mounting
surface interferes with this shelf and prevent full retraction unless I
angle the lowest part of the assembly aft of this cross-car beam. Then when
extended the antenna points stupidly forward.

I wonder if anyone has a source for a radio antenna that completely retracts
into an extra short (3 inch?) length that would work in the location I
described.

(Once again my measurements are a just a guess.)

-Dave Murphy
SouthEast Michigan AHC
'66 BJ8
'76 TR6