Fw: 100-4 scuttle shake

To: "AustinHealey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: 100-4 scuttle shake
From: "Dick Matson" <MedLabInc@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 10:40:55 -0800
Yup.  Balance the drums.

DM / WA State
Bj8

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Davies<mailto:rdavies1@cox.net>
To: 'Allen C Miller, Jr.'<mailto:acmiller@mhcable.com> ;
healeys@autox.team.net<mailto:healeys@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:28 AM
Subject: RE: 100-4 scuttle shake

"After balancing, I'm left with
lesser shake in the 54-58 mph range."

Alan,
I know how you feel.  I can't speak specifically to the 100-4, but be sure
you also balance and "true" your tires and "tune" your wires. That's adjust
the wires so the wheel is round then shave the rubber to make sure the tire
is absolutely round THEN balance the wheel. Sometimes it is necessary to
remount and rotate the tire on the wheels before you shave it or balance it
because tires just aren't round. (I even had to remount and re-balance on my
DB7 as low profile tires are a problem too).
Sometimes you need to do all this then do a dynamic balance on the car to
stop the shake.

Sometimes your drums need to be balanced separately. I mailed off my wheels
to Hendrick and my shake vanished. I was prepared to do the drums next but
didn't have to.

These three changes can make a huge difference. Just "balancing" is not
nearly enough for cars with wire wheels.

Ron Davies
Laguna Hills,CA
67 BJ8
97 DB7