no spark

To: "healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>,
Subject: no spark
From: "Richard Bittmann" <edmyed@harbornet.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 08:40:41 -0800
Hi All,   The concensus from the Healey List seems to be that the problem is
in the cut-off switch so I tore it apart and re-built it repairing the hole a
PO put in the back with epoxy and then painting it black to look like original
bakelite.  The switch must have been originally made "180 deg out" so that it
said off when the switch was closed instead of open.  The unit was riveted
together with very original looking brass rivets.  I tested the function with
a test light to get it right and notched the edges of the case with a file to
keep it straight.  The terminals are marked E for earth and CB for contact
breaker so maybe I had the wires reversed also.  Anyway, it's "all new" now so
I'll put it back in and see what happens.  One way or another I plan to start
the engine today and re-set the valves and also "run-in" the new ring & pinion
properly before driving the chassis and sorting out any other glitches.  I
hope to get the car to the painter this week while the weather is clear & dry.
Rich