Re: Bonnet insulation

To: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bonnet insulation
From: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 19:51:24 +1100
Hi Simon,

Yes, my BJ8 had a thick covering of black underbody protection sealer
applied pre delivery by John Sprinzel Racing - the original dealer.

It is listed on the original sales invoice as 'underseal':
http://www.myaustinhealey.com/john-sprinzel-healey.html

It was applied to the entire underside of the car, under the wheel arches,
and under the bonnet, during dealer pre delivery..

It is clearly visible in the shot with the bonnet up here
http://www.myaustinhealey.com/london-to-sydney-healey.html in 1967 and here
in 1977 in 2 of the pics  http://www.myaustinhealey.com/1977_dmh_tour.html
The black underside of the bonnet stands out on a white car!

As much as under body sealing is often regarded as masking a multitude of
sins - as this was applied when the car was brand new - it was actually a
great thing. The black & white car - despite having been driven overland
from London to Sydney in 1967 - and a subsequent long racing career - had no
rust. It still has its original, and unpatched, floors.

All of the underseal was removed during the 1998 restoration. I even took
some pictures of the underside of the bonnet, and under the floors when I
was removing the sealer - the paint underneath was just like brand new.

Best

Chris