assemblus perplexus

To: "'healeys@autox.team.net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: assemblus perplexus
From: John Loftus <loftusdesign@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:01:06 -0800
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out the correct assembly for the bolts and
washers used for the dust cover, adapter plate (that holds the caliper),
steering lever and spindle. The factory illustrations are confusing
since the dustcover is only shown with the brakes, not the suspension
parts and some illustrations show washers, some show lock tabs. On top
of that, the P.O. had the lock tabs on the steering arm side which may
be o.k. but not what the factory book shows. I've taken a picture of
things loosely assembled that you can see at:

http://www.loftusdesign.net/dustshield_lores.jpg

The Moss illustration shows two lock tabs

http://www.loftusdesign.net/mosspage.jpg

 and the factory parts book shows one.

http://www.loftusdesign.net/locktabs.jpg

Which is correct? Does it really matter or should I just slather
everything with locktite and call it a day? ;) Do I need to make extra
lock tabs on my CNC or are they A somewhere (vs. N/A from Moss)

I believe the sequence for the bottom two fasteners are bolt head, lock
tab, dust cover mounting tab (on the front), shake proof washer (to fill
the small recess in the adapter plate), adapter plate, spindle, steering
arm, lock washer, nut.  Is this correct?

Cheers,
John
BJ7