RE: Is Bench Bleeding Necessary?

To: <grabow.berniel@kendle.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Is Bench Bleeding Necessary?
From: "David Porter" <frogeye@swcp.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 07:12:46 -0700
Bernie,
 Assuming that you have bled a sufficient quantity (it's cheap)of fluid to
remove all the air then one has to look at the master or the individual
wheel cylinders as the problem or in the case of restorations where the
lines have been disconnected the possibility that one or more have been left
un-tightened. Pressurize the system with an ez-bleed or similar device(if
not available a hair dryer warming the closed reservoir will suffice). Check
for leaks, if your pedal will not remain "hard" there is a leak. This is not
rocket science. About the only other thing that can screw up the equation is
that the shoes are grossly un-adjusted, there is no free play at the pedal
or in even more rare events the pressure relief valve is dislodged or coated
with schmutz (for lack of a better word) at the bottom of the master bore.
Hope this helps somewhat,
Dave
Ps it is always best to bench bleed the masters and I even pre-fill the
slaves.