Is Bench Bleeding Necessary?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Is Bench Bleeding Necessary?
From: grabow.berniel@kendle.com
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 07:08:08 -0500
The 10 year restoration of my 1966 BJ8 is about completed and I am having
trouble getting the brakes bled.  I replaced all brake lines, master
cylinder, and brake servo, I filled the brake reservoir with synthetic
brake fluid and bled the brakes.  After bleeding I find that the brake
pedal is still soft and spongey.  I have to pump the brake pedal to get
braking action.  So, I bled the brakes again and saw no air bubbles
exiting at the wheel cylinders and calipers nor at the servo bleed screw.
I checked all the fittings and have found no leaks.  Is it necessary for
me to remove the brake master cylinder and bench bleed it? Will this solve
the problem?
Bernie