Re: glove box lock

To: <BEAU2EVE@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: glove box lock
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 17:52:28 -0500
Open the glove box door. Remove the three screws holding the chrome retainer
plate over the mechanism. Remove the plate. Observe how everything fits
together. There is an offset tab coming through to the back from the lock
barrel assembly, with a tapered surface that causes the spring loaded latch
assembly to lift the latch when the push button lock barrel is depressed.
Meanwhile there's a spring loaded plunger pin in the lock barrel that should
snap into the outer chrome sleeve preventing the barrel from coming out.
Last, there is a tabbed o.d. nut that screws onto the back side of the
chromed outer sleeve to anchor it into the wooden door. Make sure it's
seated properly and tight.
As long as everything is there and not damaged or broken, probably all it
needs is a thorough cleaning and a fine smear of white lithium grease on all
inner working surfaces of the locking and latching mechanism. A bit of care
and study of the parts and how they work (it's all really very simple)
should result in a smoothly opening and latching assembly.
There is a small metal limiting tab with rubber buffer on the inside upper
surface of the glove box surround. If when the door is closed and latched,
it has play and can rattle, this limiting tab can be carefully bent and
adjusted to take up the slack.
One more note...do not be in the habit of simply slamming the door shut or
something's going to distort or break. These are meant to be opened and
closed by fully depressing the handle button.

Rich Chrysler