March 14th, 1968

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: March 14th, 1968
From: "mnhealey" <mnhealey@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:40:09 -0600
As Bill Emerson states in "The Healey Book" pp214-215:

"In every book, there is a last page.  In this story of the Big Healeys, the
last page is a beautiful white car, an outstanding example of the magnificent
Austin Healey 3000MKIII.  In keeping with it's English heritage, the last
Healey 3000 built (HBJ8/43026) was an Ivory White (sometimes called Old
English White) right-hand drive "Home Market" model..................
"...........It was during March 1968 that Austin-Healey 3000MkIII BJ8 Chassis
43026, bearing a white body with black interior, moved slowly down the
Abingdon assembly line.  Assembly was completed on March 14, 1968.  March 14,
1968 was a sad day for those who appreciate the big Austin Healeys."

I'll have to admit that I'm torn.  On the one hand if production would have
continued there is the likelihood that the increasingly restrictive US
regulations would have de-evolved these cars that we love so dearly and
eventually they would have been reduced to the likes of the 1974 Mustang II.
At least by discontinuing the series while they were at a high point, we can
appreciate and love them in all their glory.

On the other hand, a NEW Austin Healey does indeed have some intrigue.

But I also know that I'd never in a million years (or a million dollars)
consider getting rid of my BN2 in order to get a "new" Austin Healey.

Healey on my friends....in every sense of that phrase.......HEALEY ON.  And
take a moment of silence today for what was lost and what has been gained.

cc

Curtis L. Carlson
MAHC Membership Director/Newsletter Publisher
PO Box 6844
Minneapolis, MN  55406-0844
612-721-8667/612-251-7492
mnhealey@gmail.com www.mnhealey.com