Re: Merlin engine

To: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Subject: Re: Merlin engine
From: "Peter Hunt" <peter@easterton.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 21:02:27 -0000
On March 6th, this year, five Spitfires flew over Eastleigh Airport and the
site of the Supermarine factory in Southampton, Hampshire, in celebration of
the 70th anniversary of the first test flight of the Spitfire.

One of the passengers in a two seater Spitfire was 93 year old Alex Henshaw
who, all those years ago, was Chief Test Pilot for Supermarine and who flew
the first of these great aircraft.

In the crowd was Gordon Mitchell, son of the designer, and others who had
actually worked on the original aircraft(s).

The five Spitfires, flying in formation, were featured on national
Television but unfortunately, we did not get to hear much of the five
Merlins as they flew over the airfield.

More information about this flypast can be found on www.telegraph.co.uk
type in Spitfire Anniversary under the Search heading.

It is interesting to note that there are 50 Spitfires being restored at the
moment as it is now possible to obtain virtually all the parts to make a
Spitfire - rather like being able to obtain new parts for a range of British
Sports Cars - the legends live on.

Peter Hunt