Re: Living with a Small Garage

To: Patton Dickson <57healey@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Living with a Small Garage
From: Richard Hosmer <rahosmer@citlink.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:58:25 -0800
Hi Patton,

We only have a 24'x28', which I divided unequally enough to have a long
workbench down one side wall (in the larger portion, where our Accord is
parked) and built a loft area on the front of the narrower side, under which
I drive the nose of the Healey.

With the loft, a lot of stuff that would be on the floor isn't. There is
just enough room to roll the Healey nose clear and still raise the hood
(bonnet) without having to open the overhead door.

Our lowest house floor is three feet above the garage floor, and there is a
deck connecting the two buildings. The height offset forced me to build the
garage somewhat taller, and so I put in a 16'x8' sectional door, instead of
the more normal 16'x7'. The added garage height also permits bikes, etc. to
be hung over the rear of the Healey, thus gaining nearly 200% usage of the
entire Healey footprint.

The Healey is short enough, tucked under the loft, that the lawnmower and
shop vac, etc. (in fact anything that rolls aside easily) can be stored
behind the car. Since it is never driven "on the spur of the moment" as it
were, I can easily clear things, within the 30-45 seconds or so that it
takes to warm up to a driveable idle.

Dick Hosmer