RE: trans

To: "'Jim Shope'" <healeymanjim@JoiMail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: trans
From: "Tracy Drummond" <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:14:35 -0800
Jim,

These came from 1st gear or the 3/4th gear sliding hub assembly.  This is
usually caused by the buffer stops being gone or running through gears with
the tunnel off.  It is caused when the selector shaft goes too far and the
sliding hub outer allows the detent balls and springs to be liberated.  At
any rate you need to pull it apart and return them to their home being sure
to put the buffer pads back in both in the OD plate and bell housing recess.

A trick when reassembling is to use a wooden dowel cut to the length of the
inside gearbox so you can assemble the gear cluster outside the box, drop
them in place and push the dowel out with the real shaft.

See the diagram on Moss web site items #27,28 and 42,43:

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=28882

Don't ask how I know, this was just one of many "features" of the Healey
gearbox I have discovered.  I have since changed to a Toyota over gearbox
woes see:

http://www.wavewired.net/~tracy    choose transmission

By the way, I hope your speedo cable and angle drive arrived safely.

Healey On

Tracy  (AKA y_cart)