Re: Voltmeter

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Voltmeter
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 15:33:07 -0500
The Smiths Gauge 'classic' is based on lettering style and the "half V"
bezel of a 1960's gauge. It is available through APT, as are matching oil
temp and water temp guages with electric pickups. You can check their range
at http://www.gaugeguys.com/

It must be noted, though, that while the line is traditionally Smiths, it is
from the 60's. You will notice a difference. I worked around it by mounting
four gauges on an old stock 4-hole gauge pod with an adaptor plate to fit in
the concave area of the dash (30A ammeter old stock from a Sunbeam Tiger,
Water temp quadrant face with electric pickup, oil temp gquadrant face with
electric pickup and an old stock volt meter out of a TR4).

You can mitigate the 60's look by buying the full-V bezel like 100's from
Holden or from APT. APt will also, if you send the specs, silk screen a
custom guage.

I decided to keep the half-V bezels and guages with wide 'modern' lettering
on the thinking that in the late 50's volt meters and ammeters were not
commonplace. I figured that what I put in reads like a 1960's retrofit.