Spring in RI

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spring in RI
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 15:58:27 -0500
It has been just beautiful spring weather for the last 3-4 days here in RI.
--And I finally had the time today to get the "red rat" on the road today. -I
had put the trickle charger on her yesterday, and took an hour this am to
check fluids, adjustments, drain the antifreeze, and put the straight
water/water wetter back in.

Had to pass on some quick notes for those who have already fired up for the
summer, and those that are about to. -I know that these 1st drive experiences
are common to us all, but hey, I had to share them with people who get it.

1962 3000 MkII tricarb was hard to fire up. Upon investigation, the rear carb
choke cable fixing screw had gone missing over the winter, and therefore was
only choking 2 of the carbs. --Still, started easily while holding the choke
for the 3rd carb by hand. -Some smoke initially from the oil that I had
sprayed into the cylinders after putting her up last fall, which went away
immediately.

Original intent was just to pull her out into the driveway, to size her up for
cleaning, make a list of the small projects needed to be done, etc. (-But
then, why DID I pull the SUV out onto the street, making a path to freedom for
the Healey?)  Of course, once the idle settled down, and the choke was in,
engine warmed up, needles in the gauges all in their proper places...... I
could not -not take her for a quick rumble along the local back roads.

--Glad I did. What a joy. --Where last fall, the few drives I got in, people
seemed to glance and look away, seeming not to want to be caught staring.
--Today, everyone was out, enjoying the wonderful weather. Joggers, dog
walkers, people gardening. --I lost count of the smiles waves and thumbs up
that I got, rumbling through the streets and enjoying the engine's roar
accelerating out of corners.   I got 3 shouts of "nice car!" a "wow!" and one
kid hanging out of the window of an SUV shouting "Is that a Shelby Cobra
!?!?". -as I sped by, without a chance to answer. -But by far the best, was as
I pulled to a stop at a T intersection nearly at home again, I was looking at
5 kids playing basketball in their driveway. -One, then another stopped and
looked, --and one stared at the wrong moment as his buddy passed the ball, and
pegged him with it in the back of the head! --That, was a first, for the red
rat, (and for me!). I laughed, and the kid looked at me sheepishly and waved.

-It's silly, but those sorts of things make my day. I chuckled all the way
home. The Healey ran great, and I slid her back into the garage just as the
skies darkened and the wind came up. -Looks like a storm is coming. -Let it
come. -I got my ride in, and made a little thunder of my own.

It's going to be a great summer.