Electronic Fuel Pump

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electronic Fuel Pump
From: "John Snyder" <helyjohn@cablespeed.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:12:50 -0700
Hello List,

I bought an electronic (solid state switching, no points, but ticks like an
original) fuel pump from one of our major suppliers here in the US.  The
markings on the pump regarding + grounding did not match the info on the
product sheet in the box, so I called the Tech Services Dept of the supplier.
He said that they had been having problems w/ their supplier mis-identifying
pumps, and would call me back.  After some research and discussion, he told me
to install it.  I bench tested it first w/ my battery charger, and it would
not pump (pulled a steady 0.8 amp and hummed), and did not install it.  I sent
the pump back asking that they bench test the replacement b/4 sending it, and
to put a note in the box that they did that.

The replacement pump has the same problem, except that it draws a steady 1.0
amp and hums louder.  I called, and was told that they do not do bench
testing.  Is there something I don't understand about these pumps, or am I a
victim of a series of bad pumps?  To check my battery charger test, I bench
tested an old style pump, and It draws 2 amps and ticks.

John Snyder
1959 BN7
1960 BT7
1961 BN7 MK2