Getting ready to remove the Head

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Getting ready to remove the Head
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:01:29 -0400
Today I removed the alternator, radiator (I probably didnt have to but
while the car is down already I thought I would get it looked at), and water
pump and found the following:

The radiator was not attached to the lower left bracket. This is because the
V shaped box beam that runs across the front of the car called the
suspension housing support had been bent forward at its center about >. The
funny thing is if this beam were straight it would hit the crank pulley. The
engine mounts dont appear to be damaged. Is the engine too far forward or
does that beam normally have a small forward bend?

I tried to remove the cooling water temp. sensor from the head. It seems to
require a 5/8 wrench but the space around it is too small for my open end
wrench and the tube in it means you cant use a socket. Any suggestions?

Ned Smith

BJ8

near Chattanooga, TN

N34.98 W85.5