RE: cylinder wear

To: "'Freese, Ken'" <Kendall.Freese@Aerojet.com>
Subject: RE: cylinder wear
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:14:26 -0400
Hi Ken,
Absolutely; the less time the engine runs with the choke applied the longer
it will last.
When the engine is started from cold the fuel in the charge is not
adequately atomized therefore a smaller percentage of the molecules are
exposed to oxygen and available for combustion. This creates an artificially
lean mixture.
The choke causes more of these larger droplets to be ingested thus
increasing the amount of exposed surface of fuel in the charge.
Reputedly these larger droplets of fuel do not burn completely and the
liquid fuel remaining condenses on the cold cylinder walls thus washing off
the lubricant.
I have become so paranoid about this that I've been know to warm the carbs
and manifold up with an infra red lamp before starting the engine.
I think I need to get a life!!!

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com