Cartridge or Spin On?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cartridge or Spin On?
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:01:43 -0400
Recent discussion of the quality of various brands and types of spin on oil
filters, combined with the discussion of ongoing longevity have me wondering.

I'm well aware of the convenience and "mess" issues with the original
cartridge oil filters, and had always assumed that the conversion to spin on
filters was motivated by convenience and availability of filters issues.  -But
now you all have me wondering if there is any substantiated information
indicating whether there are substantial quality differences between a good
(modern) spin on filter, and the available cartridge filters for the original
setup.

I like to try to keep everything as original, -but I am now wondering if there
is an opinion out there as to the effectiveness of the cartridge filters, and
whether there is a difference in their quality from various suppliers.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA