Re: Carburettor Balance tools

To: "Michael Branson" <bransmi@optusnet.com.au>
Subject: Re: Carburettor Balance tools
From: Eric (Rick) Wilkins <wilko2@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:34:23 -0700
IMHO, I'd say to not use ANY of the carb "balancing tools" available
except the simple pieces of wire that come in the SU toolkit. All of
the other tools require the removal of the filters and covering one
carb to measure (except the stethescope type hoses and such--those are
lame for other reasons). The SU tool is inserted into the damper piston
and you can see--in real time-- the pistons rising with throttle and
get  them together.

You can use paperclips bent into an L shape.

Here's a crude drawing of just how ridiculously simple it is. No trying
to listen througha  iece of garden hose and hoping you know how to hear
the same pitch. Absolute accuracy--instantly:

http://www.ewilkins.com/wilko/pics/carb_balance.gif

Put one in each damper and watch 'em go.

One MAJOR thing is that the two carbs are very rarely out of "balance"
with each other in regards to the pistons lifting as the two are linked
and begin their throttle travel from the same resting position. What
you want to get right is the fuel mixture.

Wilko