Re: Oil $75.21 barrel / Retrospect

To: <N5572B@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil $75.21 barrel / Retrospect
From: "62bt7" <62bt7@prodigy.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:07:30 -0700
Dave

When did they standardize the barrel size to 44 gal ??

During my high school years (late 50's) I worked at a mom
and pop refinery (all gone now) barrels were 55 gal.

As I recall, there were 11-12 of those mom and pop
refineries along with 5-6 majors in the Long Beach/
L.A. harbor area.

OBTW, pump gasoline was 15c to 25c sometines as high
as 29c gal depending on the local gas wars. Changing
prices several times a day.

That was with full service by the pump jock, "fill her up ?,
check your oil, water, tire pressure, fan belt, clean your
windshield and mirrors, etc." "SIR", with clean rest rooms
to use while the above was being done.

Even with all of the above, there were mechanics available
for repairs, oil changes, lube jobs, car lifts, etc. and racks
and racks of new tires, Remember those days ???

I guess, that's why they were called "SERVICE STATIONS".
One on every corner, now it's junk food on every corner.

How did they make a living and support families back then ???

My grandfather and two uncles owned and operated a Mohawk
SERVICE STATION back then, grandfather pumping the gas
and selling nehi pop and candy, uncles mechanicing in the
five stall rear shop. No car lifts, grease pits.

Those were the days !!!

Kirk